Supermoons 12 v 6 Kongs


By David McNeill


It was hot. It was humid. It was hostile. Reeling from the earlier defeat to the Kongs and the surrendering of a 100% victory record, the Supermoons started Game 2 with a hunger, noticeably lacking in the previous tussle.

Starting the game were Lee Bannard, Marek Larwood and sharp shooter Matt Steer representing the Supermoons. Their opposing numbers for the Kongs were the Reeds (David and John) and Richard Morris, scorer of the first recorded Volfsball in a competitive game. The Supermoons took all of 3 seconds to establish a 1 nil lead as Larwood pitched to Steer from the whistle and the latter nailed a point square and hard to the centre of the stand. Some profligate play followed, both sides’ shooting disappointingly wayward. Midway through the quarter, John Reed levelled the game with a looping shot to the centre of the stand. The scores remained tied for less then half a minute as Bannard finished a good passing move to finish unmarked with a low pitch to the base of the stand. Larwood increased the lead shortly afterwards with a weakly hit shot that looped through the air before hitting the stand towards the centre. The Supermoons capitalised on their dominance and a flurry of points followed as the break approached with first Bannard then Steer ruthlessly scoring in quick succession following lax marking. Score at the end of the quarter : 5-1 to the Supermoons.


The second quarter saw Steer and Larwood subbed off for the Supermoons with McNeill and Sanders taking their places. Danielle Ward replaced John Reed for the Kongs. The scoring started early with the Kongs reducing the deficit with a quick point for Reed. Following this was a period of wasteful play by both teams until Bannard finished with a fine low shot to the base to further extend the Supermoon’s lead. Defences remained on top well into the final minute with excellent examples of blocking from McNeill and Sanders, the latter taking the opportunity well to register her first point just before the break. Bannard – as he did in the first game – gave the Supermoons an almost unassailable lead with a score at the close of the quarter : 8-2 to the Supermoons.


Morris subbed off for the Kongs for the third quarter with John Reed replacing him. Sanders and Bannard stepped out for the Supermoons to be replaced by Larwood and Steer. John Reed got his first points of the game after 45 seconds with a lobbed shot to the centre of the stand followed by a well placed central shot shortly after to half the deficit. The Kongs ate further into the Moons lead as the quarter past the halfway stage with as the taller of the Reed brothers notched up an impressive hattrick. Larwood steadied the Supermoon’s collapse with a score shortly afterwards and McNeill made things safe with a well aimed lobbed effort. This was sandwiched by another Larwood effort which glanced the bottom of the stand to end the quarter : 11-5 to the Supermoons.


Bannard and Sanders returned for the Supermoons at the expense of McNeill and Steer. Morris replaced Ward, no doubt hoping to repeat his earlier feat of scoring the first Volfsball in the game’s short history. This could have tied the scores, but was not to be. Sanders scored first, extending the Supermoon’s lead with a deft finish. John Reed replied within a matter of seconds, his contribution today perhaps marking him out as the stand out performer, despite being on the losing side. Late in the game a good shot by Bannard was denied by determined blocking from Morris. Neither team was able to increase the scoring and the game finished an impressive 12-6 to the Supermoons, no doubt relieved to have put their earlier defeat behind them.


NameShotsHits%PtsPPSBlks/IntOff RebVolfsballs
Marek Larwood
Dave McNeill
Matt Steer
Lou Sanders
Lee Bannard
John Reed
Richard Morris
David Reed (Kongs)

Danielle Ward (Kongs)30000000